Monday, September 17, 2012

THE HUNT!

Wow- the hunt. All I can say is, I had a BLAST!


waiting for everything to be loaded up!

On Friday, September 14th, 2012 we went out to the campsite around 5 p.m. We got there at around 8. So, we set up the camp, talked for a few minutes, and then hit the sack! We needed to be up at 3:30 a.m. on Saturday! SO EARLY!
We ended up sleeping horribly- the rain fly wasn't secured on the sides, and the wind was awful. It kept flapping the fly against the tent all night.
At around 2:40 a.m. we all got up, got the camo on, and got down to business! We loaded up the van, and headed to the trail head.



Face painted, camo-ed up and ready to hunt!


Let's do this!!

We got to the trail head at around 3:30-ish... painted our faces, loaded up our packs and quietly started our hike in to the blind. Let me just say that hiking around in the dark is really scary- even with a husband who has a bow with him. And it gets even scarier when you stumble upon a skunk! Thankfully we didn't get sprayed.

We got to the blind at around 4:30 a.m. We got everything organized and then let the area settle. It was cold- but, as the morning came closer, it got colder, and Colder, and even COLDER! At about 6:30 a.m it was 39 degrees outside! I kept thinking, "if it gets any colder I don't know what I'm going to do!!"


The sun finally started to come up! I was SO cold!


The blind 


Lookin' for deer


Yay for our hunting date  :)

We saw one deer- or rather, Bryan saw a deer behind me, but she got scared and ran off.
Then- a few minutes after than deer, Bryan spotted another deer. Too far out to shoot from the blind. So, my hardcore hunter climbed out of the blind and army crawled closer and closer to get within a better range for a good shot. Bryan range found the deer, and it kept saying 20 yards. But he knew that the deer was farther. He sighted for 20 yards and let an arrow go. It was low and went underneath the deer. She moved a little farther. Bryan guessed at 40 yards and let another arrow fly. We heard it hit- the deer wobbled, turned around, jumped the creek, and ran off.
We were positive he hit the deer. So- we gave her about 10 minutes and then went to search for arrows. We searched for an hour and found absolutely nothing! No blood and no arrows. We tried our best, but finally gave up, and headed back to the van.

Bryan's friend that came with us got a deer. And we helped him gut it out and bring it back to the van. We bumped another deer in the tall grass, but she was quick, and ran off. 

It was only opening day. So, hopefully Bryan will be able to go back out and bring home some meat. And, maybe I'll be able to go with him! 

And, even though we didn't get a deer, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and would do it again and again and again. Hunting is a very fun activity. Especially bow hunting. I honestly wouldn't mind learning how to hunt myself. 

Despite my scratched face, extremely sore legs, and blistered heels, I'd say my first hunting experience was a huge success! And I cannot wait to do it again!







No comments:

Post a Comment